The key aim of CUPHAT is to understand the value and the potential of the natural and cultural heritage in the 4 upland areas, thus increasing tourists to the area and attracting new overseas visitors to the coastal upland areas of the Cambrian Mountains, the Preseli Hills, the Wicklow Mountains and the Blackstairs Mountains.
CUPHAT seeks to do this by encouraging local communities to reflect on and celebrate their natural and cultural heritage.
In order to achieve this the following project activities will include:
- Creating a tourism network within and between each of the 4 coastal uplands areas
- A marketing strategy will be developed for the coastal uplands, which will be based on common themes (e.g. geology/geomorphology, natural heritage, agricultural practices, mining/industry, language, the picturesque)
- Promoting tourist experiences, and encouraging a visit to two or more coastal uplands
- Improving the tourist experience in 8 current cultural and natural heritage sites, making the experience more memorable
- Using citizen science, 8 new cultural and natural heritage sites or experiences in the upland areas will be identified.
- Help to create 8 additional microenterprises based on the heritage of the coastal uplands
- Identifying new kinds of tourist, who would enjoy a visit to the coastal uplands.